Thursday, December 13, 2012

Simone's Arrival

I arrived in Washington D.C.  at Reagan International Airport on Wednesday October 24th in the evening. It was just a short distance from Sara and Mike's place. Thursday and Friday Mike went to work and Sara and I had fun doing things like shopping.    The three of us went to a park close by and did a lot of walking hoping to help the baby come.  We even went to town  one night and bought a lemon cupcake for Sara to eat.  One of her co-workers mentioned it could  help make the baby come.  If it did, it took its time working.  I think it was Friday night that we went to the ward Halloween Party.  It was a nice event.
















We went to church on Sunday and we were basically told to check on each other since Hurricane Sandy was suppose to find land soon. Sara woke up Monday morning October 29 and thought that her contractions had started.  It was around noon that it was decided to head to the hospital.  The rain and wind were starting to be pretty hard.  This is how good she looked before leaving.  Once at the hospital it took a while for the nurses to believe Sara was really in labor. 
Finally, Simone arrived.  She is a beautiful baby, so much hair.  She arrived at 8:12 pm.  She weighed 7lb. 15 oz. and was 21 1/4 inches long.  She was born at the Fairfax INOVA Hospital in the City of Fairfax, Virginia.   
  
They are a gorgeous family.
Mike looks like a natural.
I was lucky enough to spend the night in their hospital room.  Mike and Sara wouldn't let me go home.  The rain was coming down really hard.  They thought the roads would be flooded and that I would not be able to find my way home.  I know it wasn't comfortable for Mike.  He made me sleep in the chair that changed into a bed.  He slept on the floor.  I would have slept in the other chair, but no, he wouldn't let me.  Just the same, I am glad I stayed because the power was out and I wouldn't have been able to find anything. 
Arlington actually came out okayafter Hurricane Sandy.  New York and New Jersery were hit really hard.  We saw quite a few trees down when Mike finally took me home Tuesday afternoon.  The power was still out, but it was day so Mike helped me find flashlights.  Lucky for me I hadn't deflated the bed Monday thinking the power might not be on when I came home.  It got dark pretty early so all I could do was read by the light of a flashlight and turn in early.  The hospital wouldn't let Simone come home to a cold powerless house.  Sara had hope to come home later that night.  I am glad they stayed.  The house was cold.  Too cold for a newborn.  
This is how cute she looked for her first bath.  
As new parents they did a fantastic job giving her a bath. 
You can tell she is a really long baby.  This is her first Halloween outfit.  Mike's sister had a baby on Halloween in Texas.  Almost twin cousins.  
Proud Grandma.

No comments: