Thursday, September 6, 2012

Glacier Express

This is the part of the trip we had been waiting for, the Glacier Express.  I was able to take a few pictures that weren't too bad.  The windows had a little less glare if I positioned myself correctly. 
 
The next three pictures came out of a booklet.
 



We wore headphones that explained what we were seeing.  We were also told some history about the areas.  It was interesting, unfortunately I don't remember much.  The views were spectacular and they were what I came for.  I didn't dare read a book or take a nap.  I loved all the small towns.  

The Rhine
The Rhine Gorge,  Switzerland's Grand Canyon.
I think it would be fun to canoe or tube down this river.  
We stopped at Chur to change engines.  The climb was going to be very steep so the train needed a cogwheel engine.  While we were waiting we were entertained by these ladies.  It was fun to listen to and I got a picture of native clothes.  


Our first glimpse of glaciers.
 


 
Traditional Swiss homes.  They are different than the Austrian homes.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I love all the pictures, Mom. Sooo beautiful.