Sunday, September 11, 2011

In Memory of 911

Last Wednesday Michael and Alyana came to visit. Really they came for a vacation. They were busy. They went to Disneyland, the beach, an Angel's game, and the USC - Uof U game. They both graduated from the U of U and they love the Angels. We did get to see them a little bit on Saturday morning when we went to Ruby's in Whittier for breakfast. It was nice to get to know them a little better.


Do you think they wanted the U of U to win? It was a close game, but the U still lost.
This is a small garden of flags. The flags represent the different people who lost their lives on 911.



Today is the 10th anniversary of the 911 attack. The news the last few days has shown lots of picture from that dreadful day. I just remember how numb I felt. Since I was teaching, I wasn't able to watch the event unfold. It would not have been wise for me to have the TV on in my classroom. However, during recess and lunch it was on in the teacher's room. I just couldn't believe it was happening. One thing that stands out for me was the airplane traffic above our house. There wasn't any for many weeks. It was almost spooky. We have grown accustom to seeing the planes. Also, Tim was on his mission. We didn't receive any communication from him for almost 3 weeks because the planes were not carrying the mail. I think this was about the time that the missionaries were able to begin to email their families. Watching the memorials that have been going on this weekend helps me realize what a wonderful country we live in. I'm sure the terrorist were hoping this would pull our country apart. However, I think it has brought us closer and made us more patriotic. I know the USA still has many problems, but I love this country. I love the freedoms that we have here.

I know the next few pictures are kind of dark, however, I wanted to take part in some of the services that were happening this weekend. Rose Hills had a rememberance going on. Wayne and I actually got to touch a smalll piece of the Twin Tower wreckage. In the background is a wall of names. The names of people who lost their lives that day.








Inside the chapel at Rose Hills names were being read. Then a bell was chimed. It was a little humbling to hear the names.
God Bless America!!!

No comments: