Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day - The End of Summer

As Labor Day approaches I get mixed emotions. It is sad to see summer end, then it is exciting for school to start. This year has been a little confusing for me since I have already had four days of school. I think that is a first in my teaching career. This year has also been different for Wayne and me because we have just the two of us here to celebrate.


We decided we would go to Ruby's for breakfast. The 60 freeway hardly had anyone on it and we had showers. This is unusual.


We were able to get right in. The help asked where the rest of the family was.

It tasted as good as it looks.


Wayne always goes for the big breakfast. That means he usually won't let us get anything else for the rest of the day. He has had his one meal for the day.

After breakfast we walked down to the Wedge. There has been a big storm down by New Zealand which caused really big waves to come to the Wedge this week. The waves even crashed into the parking lot so berms were pushed up to prevent any more flooding.

The really big waves have passed, but I was able to catch a few that look pretty dangerous. The kids out in the water were just picked up and smashed to the ground. I think I have outgrown the need to be smashed. The waves were still fun to watch.

I thought this was a really good shot.


We continued our walk to the ferry and then over to Balboa Island. The cloud cover kept the walk very pleasant.
This sailboat caught my eye. It just looked so big. It was moving at a pretty fast pace.


We ended the day by going to the movies. We saw "The Help." It is an excellent movie. It helped me realize how far this country has come in the way we treats people. Now that Labor Day is almost over, I have to face reality and get serious about school. I have a sweet class. I have many different learning levels to work with which will make it a hard year. Having thirty students is also going to keep me busy. I hope all my grandchildren that are in school will try their best. I want them to have a good year.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Awesome pictures of the waves! Wish we could have been there with you.