Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Military Ball - Adult Prom

We are grateful to be friends with Scott and Carol.

Doesn't Wayne look handsome in his tux.
This weekend was the Military Ball. It might be the last one we get to go to because it might be Scott's last year in the Air National Guard. We really have enjoyed the times that we have gone. This year we were lucky and got to sit up very close. I really like their presentation to the POW's and MIA's. There is a table set for dinner on the stage. A member from each of the military armed forces; Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard march to the table. In honor of those soldiers missing, a hat is placed on the table. On the plate is salt, this represents the tears of their loved one, and there is a lemon slice. This represents the bitter memory of the loved one being absent. I also enjoy the flag presentation as well. We are standing by the flags before dancing starts.

Besides going to the military ball, Wayne and I did a lot of things around the house. We did some of our usual housecleaning, some of it was deep housecleaning. I have collected a lot of dust in places I don't very often dust. Then we cleaned the windows. They were awfully dirty. Next we hung a few pictures. Wayne did some weeding and I went to the grocery store. Wayne thinks his honey do list is finished. Ha Ha Ha As soon as he said that I found something he hasn't finished. Is work like this ever done? There is always the garage and the attic. And if I remember correctly the weeds come back very quickly. We also have limes, grapefruit and avacodos that need to be harvested.

We have had Danny Lopez doing most of Wayne's honey dos this past week. Since the bedrooms have been painted we needed some new floor boards put in. We don't have the right tools so we got Danny to help us. Since we already had him working at the house we had him replace all the old light switches and outlets. Now they are white and look a lot cleaner. I think the gardeners broke the washroom door window so that needed to be replaced. While we were at it we also replaced the garage door by the freezer. His next project was to fix the kitchen fan. It hasn't worked for at least 3 years. When he looked at the fan he found it was broken. We were hoping it was just a missing screw. This means we now have a new fan/light in the kitchen. It has a really fancy switch. You might need instructions to make it work when you come to visit. Then we had him put up crown molding in the front room and dining room. His last project was to put up tiles on the roof that were missing. As you can see Wayne got a lot of honey dos done with the help of a handyman. This is why Wayne thinks he is finished. Because of all the dust I had to wash all the floor which includes the washroom. This is not my favorite job. The tile floor kills the knees.

It is almost Thanksgiving. I want to wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. We are grateful for so many things, but top on our list is our family. You are all on top of the totem pole.

3 comments:

LALALALUUUUUUUKE said...

First let me say that Wayne looks very dapper in his tux. The glasses are a nice touch.

Second let me remind you that I told you the fan was broken a couple of years ago. Regardless I am glad you got that taken care of.

Third, Elaine you can get a decent pair of knee pads at Home Depot or Lowe's to take care of your knee pain. They are a good investment and not only ease the pain, but make it much easier to function for the next 3 days that you would have taken to heal.

Sara said...

I'm definitely excited to come home for Thanksgiving, but you can be honest mom, I am on the top of the totem pole.

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

I love your military ball pictures. You look so pretty and Wayne looks so handsome. Aaron had a military ball about a month ago, it was really fun. I hope you have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Thank you for leaving comments on my blog, it is so fun to read them. Have fun!