Sunday, December 2, 2007

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today is the 100th anniversary of my dad's birthday. It is quite amazing that he lived to be 88. He started out as a very small premature baby. I am grateful he was my dad. He taught by example. I have been told that I know how to work hard. I know how to work because of the example of both of my parents. Dad had a wonderful garden. He spent hours outside. He had us out there helping with the planting, weeding and the harvesting. Our hours were short compared to the hours he spent. He had other talents. He had an excellent mind. He loved learning especially things about money. He had a love of the gospel. His action showed that. He also loved his family. He was so proud of all his children. I always felt I was on the top of his totem pole. However, as years go by I probably wasn't the top but as a kid I didn't know that. He loved his grandchildren and would have loved all his great grandchildren. He probably kissed them good bye as each has come to earth.

Perhaps you have a special memory of grandpa that you would like to share with the family today. I want you to know I loved my dad. I still do. He gave us all that he could. I have missed both Dad and Mom.

4 comments:

Kari said...

I remember Grandpa giving the little kids rides on his knees and him giving Sara extra rides through the air. He really liked Sara. I remember him sitting in his chair and reading the newpaper. I also remember all of the good produce he always grew. I can't believe he would be 100. That's crazy. We miss him too but I sure he is happier were he is now. Although there is no stock market there.

Janna said...

I remember him swinging the little kids between his legs. I also remember him telling me not to touch the plastic fruit. Moded as always.

Sara said...

I remember one time we went to visit Grandma and Grandpa and for some reason Tim and I had to help Grandpa rake up all of the leaves in the backyard. I guess he wanted to teach us how to work hard too.

One of my favorite memories of Grandma is one time I was spending the night with her all by myself and we watched all 3 Back to the Future movies, just me and Gma. It was awesome

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

Hey I just wanted to let you know that Mindi and Danny started a blog! thewestenskows.blogspot.com! Merry Christmas!